Tuesday, October 11, 2011

How to make Screen Print Chevron and Stripes


As I promised in my Chevron and Quarterfoil Throw Pillow Case posting, I will post a tutorial on how I printed the Chevron and Quatrefoil without using painter's tape. (I don't recommend you NOT to use a painter's tape. It's just me that seems a lot of work and tape to use to cover a pillow.)

If you'd like to use a tape, Cyndy of  the The Exchange has a great tutorial on how to screen print using a 3M Tape. Great works too!


Things that you will need for your pillow case:

1. Fabric
2. Masking Tape
3. Fabric Paint
4. Poster Board or Cardstock (You don't use.)
5. Foam Brush
6. Elmer's Spray Adhesive
7. Straight Pins
8. Sewing Machine


These are the Tulip Fabric Paint and Elmer's Spray Adhesive. These were all from Michaels.


Read the instruction in the Elmer's Spray Adhesive on how to used it for temporary bonds.



Trace the Chevron pattern to your cardstock or poster board. If you need a pattern, you can get it HERE. (I used my excess cardstocks that I don't used.) Spray the the back of your pattern with Elmer's Spray Adhesive. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Prepare your fabric in a flat surface. Make sure to put a poster board under the fabric to avoid any spill of paint in your surface. Use the masking tape to stretch the fabric. Arrange the Chevron pattern to your fabric. (Overlap the patterns to avoid any space in between two patterns.) Press the patterns to make sure there's no space for the paint to go through.


Use your foam brush to paint in the fabric. Just dub the foam brush when you are painting at the edges of the pattern to have clean lines and use less paint.


Wait for few minutes then remove the pattern. (Do not reuse the used patterns. I tried it and it was bad.)

For the Stripes, use a painter's tape. (I used the Frog Tape.) Arrange the tape in a way you want it to show when you finished sewing your pillow case.




***This is my first time to sew. I am not a pro. I am just sharing the way I did it in the best of my ability.***

Wait for about 2 - 4 hours before sewing your fabric.

Arrange your fabric the way you want it to be using straight pins. (Make sure both right sides are together. For my pillow case, I used the Chevron for the front of the pillow and Stripes for the back.) Create an opening at the back side of the pillow case. (I created a hem in between my Stripes fabrics.)

Start sewing the sides. (I sew it twice just to make sure that the threads are secure.)

Here's after sewing.

The Stripes.

The Chevron.

Here's the pillow case. (It's not too perfect but it's not noticeable.)
Pin It

Hope my tutorial helps you. A quatrefoil print screen tutorial is coming in the next posts. Thanks for viewing.

Photobucket

All the glory are yours, O Lord.
Linking to these Parties
diycraftstomake

8 comments:

  1. awesome tutorial!! thanks for sharing!:) i love it
    http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Thanx for the tutorial and coming over to party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute and clever. Love the 2 different patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful. I knew there had to be a simple way to do this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WONDERFUL tutorial! It's so pretty! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so making myself some of these pillows they are beautiful and the color possibilities are endless. Thanks for the inspiration. Thank you so much sharing and for linking up to our party Show and Share this week! Come on back this Wednesday to link up your current projects.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the pillow and that is the cutest little sewing machine I have ever seen ! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tutorial--you give good directions:)Patti@PrettyOldHouses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete